TGIF! This week we read news from across the board: diversity reports, political advocacy, management polls, and more.
Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
Here’s what we’re reading – July 13
- Read: Spotify diversity and inclusion report not shy about room for improvement by Valerie Bolden-Barrett for HR Dive. It’s refreshing to see a leading tech company not only release a diversity report, but honestly and transparently embrace and acknowledge its flaws and it’s areas for improvement. In Spotify’s most recent report, they focused on getting “real about [their] current status.”
- Bonus reading: For the full report, Say hi to the Spotify diversity data! on Spotify’s HR Blog.
- Read: Engineering: From Ignorance to Passion – A Reflection on Advocating with SWE by Ranjana Chandramouli for All Together’s SWE Blog. This personal account of participating in the 2018 Congressional Outreach Days in DC shows the dedication and determination of one female engineer who’s using her voice to advocate for other women in the industry.
- Read: Are women better team leaders than men? by WERKLABS shared by Women 2.0. This piece dives into the data from Gallup’s “State of the American Manager: Analytics and Advice for Leaders.” The research shows that women make better managers than men. It’s a broad generalization, but the findings are fascinating.
- Read: How to become a developer: A cheat sheet by Alison DeNisco Rayome for TechRepublic. While it’s not bootcamp, this piece is a great and thorough how-to guide to salaries, skills, and programming languages that would benefit any new developer.
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (24)
- Alum (91)
- Blog (151)
- Career Services (26)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (56)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (21)
- Hackbright News (105)
- Podcast (2)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (98)
- Recruiting & Hiring (15)
- Resources (36)
- Student Blogs (24)
- Tech (50)
- Thought Piece (19)
- Uncategorized (2)
- Video (20)