TGIF! This week ride-sharing, female tech leaders, and alternate development techniques led our reading.
Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
Here’s what we’re reading – March 30
- Read: What is low-code development? A Lego-like approach to building software by Clint Boulton for ITWorld. You’ve heard of sprints, Agile, and other development methodologies, but what about low-code development? This article dives into some real-world applications of this alternate development technique.
- Read: Uber has agreed to settle a class action discrimination suit for $10 million by Johana Bhuiyan for recode. While Susan Fowler’s exposé on gender discrimination at Uber has mostly blown over, Uber is still facing suits and negative press about its other discriminatory practices.
- Read: Lyft pledges equal pay for women, men, people of color by Dara Kerr for CNet. Following the lead of other tech giants, Lyft is hiring a third-party to audit its policies and ensure they’re not guilty of pay discrepancies based on gender or race.
- Read: Why Silicon Valley needs quotas to solve its diversity crisis by Leanne Pittsford for Quartz. Founder of Lesbians Who Tech, Leanne Pittsford, shares her firsthand account of why she still sets diversity quotas for herself and her organization… Even for an organization solely focused on bringing about diversity, equality, and inclusion. Learn why good intentions weren’t enough.
- Read: People were asked to name women tech leaders. They said “Alexa” and “Siri” by CZ for Fast Company. Only four percent of people could accurately name a female tech leader, according to a study by LivePerson. And of the respondents, one percent couldn’t name a live female tech leader, instead turning to virtual assistants as their leading tech lady.
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (25)
- Alum (97)
- Blog (155)
- Career Services (26)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (59)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (21)
- Hackbright News (105)
- Podcast (2)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (104)
- Recruiting & Hiring (15)
- Resources (44)
- Student Blogs (24)
- Tech (50)
- Thought Piece (20)
- Uncategorized (2)
- Video (20)