TGIF! We’re kicking off the New Year with a new weekly post with industry updates, articles, and anything else we’re finding relevant. Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
This week’s trend leans towards year-in-review and looking-ahead roundups.
Here’s what we’re into – January 5, 2018
- Read: 10 Inspirational Stories Tech Stories from 2017 by Conor Cawley at TechCo. Not only do women in tech and the Girl Scout’s 23 new STEM focused merit badges make the list, but it’s always nice to start the year with a look back at the positive things that happened in the industry.
- Listen: Where’s the heard data on diversity in tech? with Marketplace Tech host Molly Wood and tech reporter Will Evans. This quick (5 min) podcast from American Public Media takes a look at one of their favorite episodes of 2017: the narrative major tech companies create about diversity in Silicon Valley.
- Read: 6 Women In STEM To Watch Out For 2018 by JR Thorpe at Bustle. We’re all about female empowerment, and this article is the shoutout to women in STEM we’re using to inspire us this week.
- Read: 5 Ways To Be Visible Figures In Tech In The New Year by Jumoke K. Dada at Forbes. The advice in this column is tried-and-true, with some solid examples and resources for women to tap into to grow their networks and career.
- Read: What it’s like to connect one billion people around the world as a software engineer at WhatsApp by the Working Girl Diaries team at HelloGiggles. Ever curious about what life as a software engineer might look like? We loved learning about the day-to-day routine, coding challenges, projects, and life of Shruthi Murthy, one of the leading (female) engineers at WhatsApp.
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (23)
- Alum (82)
- Blog (135)
- Career Services (24)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (55)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (20)
- Hackbright News (104)
- Podcast (2)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (90)
- Recruiting & Hiring (15)
- Resources (33)
- Student Blogs (22)
- Tech (47)
- Thought Piece (18)
- Video (20)