TGIF! This week is all about progress: how women are gaining equal footing in the tech industry. How companies can help employees gain new skills. How we’re trying to take the mystery away from the admissions interview process. Watch, read, and let us know what you think!
Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
Here’s what we’re reading – February 23
- Watch: Chasing Grace, a new six-episode documentary series about women’s movement for equality in tech. The series premiers on March 25 and each episode will focus on a different topic, the challenges within, and the path forward.
- Read: NASA’s Real Life ‘Hidden Figure’ On How To Advance Women In STEM by Michelle King for Forbes. This Q&A with Dr. Christyl Johnson, NASA’s Deputy Director for Technology and Research Investments, highlights the challenges women face in STEM, and the positive steps her organization has taken to bring more women into the spotlight.
- Watch: Meet Your Interviewers – a little shameless self-promotion… We’ve heard that the interview process can be nerve-wracking, but it’s not meant to be! Get to know the Hackbright women who will interview you during the application process and learn what to expect.
- Read: How Tech Companies Can Help Upskill the U.S. Workforce by Kausik Rajgopal and Steve Westly for the Harvard Business Review. As technical jobs that require coding experience continue to grow, it’s imperative for tech companies to not only hire outside talent, but to also build their talent from within. This article does a great job breaking down the training and education options to help the industry upskill its workers.
- Read: Dear Tech People ranks Snap, Dropbox, Airbnb, and more in diversity report by Bérénice Magistretti for VentureBeat. In a move to encourage transparency, Dear Tech People gathered and analyzed LinkedIn data to see which tech companies are the most diverse.
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (21)
- Alum (74)
- Blog (93)
- Career Services (16)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (44)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (20)
- Hackbright News (100)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (77)
- Recruiting & Hiring (13)
- Resources (25)
- Student Blogs (19)
- Tech (35)
- Thought Piece (15)
- Video (20)