TGIF! This week we bid farewell to one of the greatest minds of our time, heard from some leading women in tech, and took a look at top-rated programming languages.
Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
Here’s what we’re reading – March 16
- Read: Stephen Hawking Dies at 76; His Mind Roamed the Cosmos by Dennis Overbye for The New York Times. An obituary, tribute, and biography for Dr. Hawking.
- Listen: Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg on techlash and #MeToo with Kara Swisher for Recode Decode. In case you missed Lesbians Who Tech’s annual summit earlier this month, keynote speaker, Sheryl Sandberg was there to discuss everything from the climate in tech to how Facebook is dealing with the current geopolitical environment.
- Read: Is Lack of Diversity and Women in Leadership Roles Hurting Ad Tech’s Growth? by Rebecca Mahony for AdWeek. The ad-tech space has recently come under scrutiny for its lack of diversity. This article explores the areas for improvement and suggests ways for the industry to improve.
- Read: It’s Time To Prioritize Diversity Across Tech by Lisa Winning for Forbes. This data-backed post draws from the Information Is Beautiful study to highlight the areas for improvement in tech’s gender and ethnic diversity gaps.
- Read: Which programming languages pay best, most popular? Developers’ top choices by Liam Tung for ZD Net. This article didn’t contain many surprises for the top languages, or top paying roles. But what was significant is the 6.8 percent participation rate of women in the global study. The survey from Stack Overflow is a glaring example of the under-representation of women in engineering, and the gender biases still prevalent in the industry.
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (24)
- Alum (90)
- Blog (149)
- Career Services (25)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (56)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (21)
- Hackbright News (105)
- Podcast (2)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (97)
- Recruiting & Hiring (15)
- Resources (33)
- Student Blogs (24)
- Tech (49)
- Thought Piece (19)
- Uncategorized (1)
- Video (20)