TGIF! This week was Equal Pay Day – women had to work 99 days into 2018 to make the same amount that men made in 2017. Our news centered around opinion pieces, studies, and other articles about the gender (wage) gap.
Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
Here’s what we’re reading – April 6
- Read: The Gender Pay Gap in Tech: Are The Silicon Valley Giants Paying Women Less? by Karl Sharpe for Recombu. In 2017, the pay gap between men and women was 20 percent. In Silicon Valley, for women under 25, the gap was a whopping 29 percent. Recombu’s infographic shows the (frankly depressing) stats of the gender wage gap.
- Read: YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki: Three Ways Tech Companies Should Improve Diversity by Kathleen Chaykowski for Forbes. Wocjcicki discusses how the C-Suite must commit to, and lead by example to address discrimination and diversity.
- Read: Meet the Woman Who Convinced Apple, Starbucks, and Nike to Close Their Gender Pay Gaps by Valentina Zarya for Fortune. Natasha Lamb is a managing partner of Arjuna Capital. She covers how, and why, she engages with these major tech companies to address pay equity.
- Read: One chart shows how much more men make than women in 25 major cities by Leanna Garfield and Shayanne Gal for Business Insider. The pay gap is easily measured by gender. But what about race and location? This report from the American Association of University Women shows how the pay scale ranges for women of different races across 25 major US cities.
- Read: Want to Further Gender Equality at Work? Do These 3 Things by Spencer Rascoff for Inc. As CEO of Zillow Group, Rascoff shares how pay equity plays a major part working towards gender equality at Zillow.
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (22)
- Alum (79)
- Blog (121)
- Career Services (23)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (54)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (20)
- Hackbright News (102)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (84)
- Recruiting & Hiring (15)
- Resources (32)
- Student Blogs (22)
- Tech (44)
- Thought Piece (17)
- Video (20)