TGIF! This week was all about Microsoft acquiring GitHub… plus some great actions (and words) from the empowering Melinda Gates.
Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
Here’s what we’re reading – June 8
- Read: Melinda Gates has sharp words for the VC industry: Enough with your love for ‘the white guy in a hoodie’ by Julie Bort for Business Insider. We’ve written about the Bill & Melinda Gate Foundation before, and the work they do to impact global change and improvement. Now Melinda Gates is providing workable solutions to change the ratio in tech with her VC fund, Pivotal Ventures.
- Listen: Four strategies for boosting diversity and inclusion in the workplace by Diann Daniel for TechTarget. In this week’s podcast, Fidelity Investments’ head of talent acquisition weighs in on the importance of inclusiveness, how recruiting can be biased, and why technology is critical.
- Read: Microsoft is buying code-sharing site GitHub for $7.5bn by Alex Hern for The Guardian. This week it was announced that Microsoft will be acquiring GitHub. There are a lot of mixed reactions in industry, and whether you’re on the pro- or con-side about this news, here’s a couple thought pieces about the announcement:
- Read: A bright future for GitHub on Medium. This piece, by Chris Wanstrath, CEO and co-founder of GitHub is expectedly positive, but also shares a little bit about why this change is happening and how it’s a good thing.
- Read: Why Microsoft is Acquiring GitHub by Michael K. Spencer for Medium. This piece dives into the benefits that Microsoft stands to gain from the acquisition.
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (22)
- Alum (79)
- Blog (121)
- Career Services (23)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (54)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (20)
- Hackbright News (102)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (84)
- Recruiting & Hiring (15)
- Resources (32)
- Student Blogs (22)
- Tech (44)
- Thought Piece (17)
- Video (20)