Description of Job Responsibilities
As a Volunteer Technical Mentor, you would play a vital role in supporting more women, gender-diverse people, and their allies into software engineering roles by providing technical mentorship, feedback, and interview preparation. The Volunteer Technical Mentor is responsible for preparing interview preparation content, leading classes of 5-20 graduates on technical topics such as whiteboarding practice and coding challenges, and providing one-on-one guidance for graduates seeking technical support in a new project or technology like React/Django, etc. The start date for this role is immediate.
Location & Schedule
Mentoring is usually done remotely, but mentors and fellows can meet in person in professional environments if they would like. The time commitment is ~2 hours per week, ~8 hours per month. Length of commitment is minimum 1 month, with flexibility.
Mentor Session Activities
● Lead weekly drop-in group study sessions with graduates
● Lead weekly technical interview preparation workshop, guiding a class of graduates to practice and receive feedback on their technical interviewing skills
● Provide support for graduates in deploying their projects in Heroku and/or AWS
● Grow in familiarity with the Hackbright curriculum to better understand graduates areas of growth
Desired Technical Skills
General requirements are as follows:
- 1+ years of teaching, mentorship, or management experience
- 2+ years of software development experience
- A bootcamp graduate with 2+ years work experience
- Familiarity with teaching or strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals, including linked lists, trees, graphs, etc.
- Experience interviewing candidates for level 1 software engineering roles
- Experience building and deploying projects in Heroku, AWS
- Experience participating in hackathons
- Experience contributing to open source projects
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication
We value diversity and respond with all mentors based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.