The Mentorship Program supports the education of Hackbright engineering fellows. For a Hackbright Academy engineering fellow, having a source of encouragement and insight outside of the classroom is invaluable. It’s because of mentorship relationships like this that our industry thrives. Giving back and mentoring is the foundation our community is built on.
Why Mentor at Hackbright Academy?
- the opportunity to pay it forward (directly have an impact on diversifying the tech community #changetheratio)
- develop your technical and management skills (mentors can pair program with their mentee and help scope their engineering projects)
- expand your network (being part of the Hackbright community provides you with the opportunity to connect with fresh engineering talent, fellow talented Hackbright mentors, company founders and leaders, and more)
Mentorship requires volunteers to:
- Try to dedicate one hour a week to your Mentee (this can be an in-person meeting, video chat, email exchanges, or code review — try to attune to your Mentee on how and when you may be most helpful to her goals)
- We understand gaps in your career, but would appreciate all our Mentors to be fully employed while mentoring at Hackbright
- Respond to emails within 24 hours (even if it’s to say you’re busy until X date)
- Attend mock interview practice session with your mentee during Week 12
- Support them in their project as they prepare for Demo Night
- Be supportive and committed to the success of your Mentee!
We appreciate your support of our initiative to #changetheratio.
– The Team at Hackbright Academy