TGIF! This week, we bid adieu to a feminist icon, learned about new programs promoting diversity and inclusion in tech, and celebrated the bonds and support women can provide each other in our industry.
Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
Here’s what we’re reading – January 26, 2018
- Read: Naomi Parker Fraley, the Read Rosie the Riveter, Dies at 96 by Margalit Fox for The New York Times. Learn the history of Rosie the Riveter and the search to find the woman behind the iconic feminist symbol.
- Read: A lobbying group for Amazon, Facebook and Google is kicking off a new diversity initiative thanks to pressure from Congress by Tony Romm for Recode. The Internet Association has opened a new role to focus on diversity and inclusion in the tech industry. If successful, this role will help shape the policies and practices of tech companies across the country and help solve the gender and racial imbalance in tech.
- Read: These are the 3 industries hiring the most female CEOs by Reed Alexander for Moneyish. Less than one-fifth of newly-appointed CEOs in the US last year were women. Curious to know the best (and worst) industries for women in the C-suite? Read on and let us know if the results are surprising or expected.
- Read: Women in Cloud Summit unveils new initiatives to seize ‘the biggest opportunities of our lives’ by Tony Lystra for GeekWire. Microsoft and Hewlett Packard are launching a new program, the Cloud Accelerator Lab, to support women founders creating businesses in the cloud.
- Read: Diversifying the blockchain by Megan Rose Dickey for TechCrunch. Learn how one cryptocurrency leader is trying to bring diversity to the blockchain industry.
- Read: Mixing friendship and business: What women in tech can do better by Monica Harrington for GeekWire. A thoughtful piece on the benefits of networking, supporting, and forging relationships with your fellow females.
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (24)
- Alum (95)
- Blog (153)
- Career Services (26)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (57)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (21)
- Hackbright News (105)
- Podcast (2)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (102)
- Recruiting & Hiring (15)
- Resources (38)
- Student Blogs (24)
- Tech (50)
- Thought Piece (19)
- Uncategorized (2)
- Video (20)