TGIF! This week we followed the adage: variety is the spice of life. Whether you’re interested in changing careers, learning to develop collaboration skills, or just want to read some good news, our roundup has you covered.
Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
Here’s what we’re reading – March 2
- Read: Data Reveals the Top 3 Highest Paid Jobs in Tech by Napala Pratini for HIRED. The numbers are compelling, yes. And this piece shows the in-demand skills and jobs. But where this article shines is the thoughtful perspective on when, why, and what to consider if you’re looking to change careers in tech.
- Read: 5 questions to improve collaboration by Sage Cohen for the Dropbox blog. Engineering can carry the stereotype of the lone-programmer or the anti-social coder. However, software engineering can an incredibly collaborative field. This great post encourages teams and individual contributors to figure out the best way to work together.
- Read: Silicon Valley faces make or break moment amid big tech backlash by Alyssa Newcomb for NBC News. Is big tech too big? This takes an in-depth look at Google, Facebook, and Apple in particular and considers the implications of their massive growth and success, and their position on the precipice now.
- Read: If You Want To Be Somewhere, You’ve Got To Occupy It by Lily Moayeri for NPR. It’s not just the tech industry where women are underrepresented and working to #ChangeTheRatio. Learn about how women are changing the face of engineering and production in the music industry.
- Read: Wakanda in Us: Great Black STEM Leaders by Dy for Black Girl Nerds. To close out Black History Month we love this piece showcasing women (and men) in STEM that provide inspiration for the next generation.
- Read: Disney donates money for STEM center in Oakland on the heels of Black Panther success by Alyssa Pereira for SF Chronicle. Ending this week on a feel-good note, Oakland will be one of a dozen urban sites where Disney’s donation will help expand STEM programs with the Boys & Girls Club. Wakanda forever! (Note: article contains minor spoilers if you haven’t seen Black Panther yet.)
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (21)
- Alum (74)
- Blog (93)
- Career Services (16)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (44)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (20)
- Hackbright News (100)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (77)
- Recruiting & Hiring (13)
- Resources (25)
- Student Blogs (19)
- Tech (35)
- Thought Piece (15)
- Video (20)