TGIF! This week we heard about some under-recognized female leaders in STEM and brushed up on our React skills.
Check back at the end of each week for our Friday finds.
Here’s what we’re reading – June 1
- Read: Gender Letter: Stop Being Grateful! Graduation Advice from 12 Women by Jessica Bennett for the New York Times. This graduation season there’s been a refreshing trend in commencement speakers: there are more powerhouse women sending our new graduates into the wild. This roundup features advice, stories, and inspiration from a dozen female leaders.
- Read: There’s nothing noble about science’s Nobel Prize gender gap by Brian Keating for Wired. We loved this piece that explores the dearth of female Nobel Prize winners despite the vast number of successful female scientists that deserve the award. By shining a light on some of the women who deserve their spotlight as leaders and role models in STEM, it’s a step forward to recognizing the lack of gender diversity in the small Nobel Prize field, and hopefully paves the way for more recognition in the future.
- Learn: React Testing with Jest and Enzyme by Bonnie Schulkin for Udemy. This course from Udemy was written by a former Hackbright instructor (Hi, Bonnie!). It’s a great program to skill up in your React experience and learn valuable ways to improve your code with test driven development.
- Read: Closing the Gender Gap: Women in Cybersecurity for the Infosec Institute. The meat of this article is nothing new. Mentorship, leadership, and recruiting are essential to closing the gender gap at many companies. But what we really wanted to share from this post is the list of resources for women in the cybersecurity industry (or who want to break into it).
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Admissions Office (22)
- Alum (76)
- Blog (106)
- Career Services (20)
- Diversity (17)
- Engineering Advice (49)
- Hackbright Field Trips (24)
- Hackbright Mentors (20)
- Hackbright News (102)
- Profiles of Woman Engineers (80)
- Recruiting & Hiring (14)
- Resources (30)
- Student Blogs (20)
- Tech (38)
- Thought Piece (16)
- Video (20)